Like 20/20 vision, only some of us are born with a smile that’s completely straight. The good news is that our team at Hunter Family Orthodontics has all the tools you need to resolve that, no matter your age. Today, we’ll cover five benefits of straight teeth as a result of orthodontic treatment!
Why Should I Get Straighter Teeth?
There are a number of scenarios where our doctors might decide you should seek orthodontic treatment, but here are some common ones that will usually constitute an appliance like braces:
- Crooked Teeth
- Malocclusion (Misaligned bite)
- Impacted Teeth
- Spacing Issues
- Jaw Issues
The Straight Smile Strategy
Our treatment options for teeth straightening are reliable and customizable based on your individual needs. While it varies from person to person, this is how we might approach a treatment plan in our office in The Woodlands:
- Consultation: The first step is simple; you can schedule a free consultation with us on our website or by phone. We use this initial visit to discern your orthodontic needs, which may include x-rays, 3D scans, or impressions of your teeth to make an accurate diagnosis.
- Custom Treatment Plan: Based on this assessment, Dr. Hunter will develop a bespoke treatment plan tailored to correcting alignment. Our team will discuss the specifics with you from there.
- Orthodontic Appliances:
- Braces: Our office offers traditional clear or metal braces. Each is highly effective and has different advantages. This variety is usually the best option for our pediatric patients.
- Invisalign/Clear Aligners: We’re proud to offer Invisalign a more discreet treatment compared to traditional braces consisting of wires and brackets, but just as effective. Invisalign is used for teens and adults.
- Routine Visits: Follow-up appointments are part of having any orthodontic appliance. We take this time to make adjustments and check progress to ensure treatment is going well.
- Oral Hygiene/Diet: Our team will explain the importance of maintaining optimal oral health with the use of your fixed or removable appliance, focusing specifically on brushing and flossing to battle plaque formation and decay. Being mindful of your diet is also important; certain foods can cause direct damage to your teeth or your device.
- Retainers: Once you discontinue the use of your removable aligners or fixed appliance, retainers are the final step. You’ll wear these to maintain your results long-term and prevent your teeth from moving back into their former positions.
The duration of your treatment plan can be different based on your circumstances and upkeep. We’ll make sure you have an extensive understanding of your respective treatment before we begin.
5 Benefits of Straight Teeth
Now that you have an understanding of how we achieve a straighter smile, we can discuss the five benefits of the results!
- Improved Oral Health: Straight teeth are by far easier to clean and maintain than crooked ones. When your smile and jaws are properly aligned, there are fewer tight spaces and areas of overlap where food and plaque can build. This reduces your risk of decay and other oral health mishaps that can grow serious as time passes.
- Aesthetic Appeal/Self-Confidence: Aesthetics aren’t the only pro of this treatment, but they’re a big one! An attractive smile can enhance your overall confidence. You may assume this only applies to complete smile transformations, but even minor adjustments can have an incredible impact on self-esteem.
- Reduced Risk of Dental Trauma: Protruding or misaligned teeth are far more vulnerable to damage in the event of an injury. Straight teeth are generally less prone to serious consequences since they aren’t as exposed and are more protected within your mouth.
- Better Chewing and Digestion: A well-balanced bite improves your ability to chew, aiding how your food breaks down and digests.
- Prevention of Jaw Problems: Corrected alignment can help you avoid jaw-related problems, like temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders. When your bite is properly aligned, it alleviates stress on the jaw joint and relative muscles. Many orthodontists will confer and collaborate with outside specialists like maxillofacial surgeons to resolve especially serious jaw problems.
Choosing Function Over Beauty
Aesthetic enhancements will always be secondary to the overall quality of your oral health. The earlier orthodontic intervention in your life, the better—but we are pleased to treat individuals of all ages in their journey to straighter teeth!
Heading Straight to A New Smile
We hope all of this information is helpful to you as you plan for treating misalignment! We always emphasize that all the hard work pays off in the end for our patients who undergo this commitment. Our team is proud to meet you where you are and walk with you wherever you plan on going! You can reach our office in The Woodlands by calling us at 281-306-5947.